Alleged backdoor in OpenBSD's IPSEC implementation.

Ben sixtwelveohtwo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 17:17:50 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Stefan Fouant <
sfouant at shortestpathfirst.net> wrote:

> [...]

Stefan,

   I wouldn't want to debate whether or not this specific theoretical "back
door" exists (since it seems to be less than marginally credible at this
point,) but it is more plausible than you might think.

   I believe that most of us a fairly static situation that we think of when
we hear "back door" as it pertains to technology and software. This,
however, is an alleged "back door" (though perhaps describing it as a
weakness is less likely to elicit tin-foil-hat-type predictions) in the
crypto. There are tons of brilliant developers in the open source *and*
commercial community that could spot a back door in the *code* in a
heartbeat. The alleged weakness here, however, is far more likely to be a
mathematical weakness in the actual crypo algorithms which wouldn't stand
out to most developers - even the top-end folks.

   Ultimately, it will probably come down to crypto-nerds and mathematicians
to verify the algorithms that were used rather than just putting great
programming eyes on the code. Such things have happened before, though with
much less fanfare to the general community. For example:
http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/11/the_strange_sto.html

// Ben S.