[Operational] Internet Police

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Fri Dec 10 18:27:03 UTC 2010

On 12/10/2010 12:07 PM, Paul Graydon wrote:
> Unless you can get every company to sign up to an agreement it will
> never work.  Even then you'll still find unscrupulous companies that are
> far more interested in revenue than reputation.  There are a number of
> hosting companies I'm sure most network professionals are aware of that
> are regular bases for C'n'C servers.

Why does it matter? If a customer isn't going to run a clean system, why
would you want them on your network? Commodity customers are quick
shutoffs, while businesses often have valid contacts to work with to
resolve the issue without a full cutoff.

If they go to the competition, it's one less problem for me to deal with
in the future (as repeat offenses are not uncommon). MOST of the
customers I suspend service due to bots/spam/etc are happy with the
service (once they realize the pretty locks on their web browser don't
secure their communications from infections).

Jack