Over a decade of DDOS--any progress yet?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Dec 9 15:39:54 UTC 2010

On Thursday, December 09, 2010 03:43:11 am George Bonser wrote:
> Is anyone actually using Ubuntu 6.06LTS anymore?  That was published for
> Q1 2008, that was almost three years ago which in "internet years" is a
> long time.

Yes.  I have some desktop users still on 6.06LTS, and they are kept updated.  Plans to migrate to CentOS 6 are in the works, with very careful application mapping for the least user retraining, and we should be able to do the migration shortly after CentOS 6 is out, which could be a little while (I would guess February or March timeframes for final C6 release, personally, press reports notwithstanding).  So we're taking our time doing that

Further, I know of RH9 and RH8.0 systems still in production, and have a Red Hat Linux 5.2 box still in (not connected to the Internet) production, where it's run for the last 12 years, with a few hardware repairs and upgrades of the years.  It wouldn't be wise to run that box on an open Internet connection; but for the application it serves it works, and retooling the app to run on something later isn't currently an option (the app uses libc5, and the version in Red Hat Linux 6 doesn't get along with the app very well).  It will soon be time to virtualize it, and, like COBOL and FORTRAN apps of yesteryear, it will live on and on and on and on...