Start accepting longer prefixes as IPv4 depletes?

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 20:01:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Dobbins, Roland <rdobbins at arbor.net> wrote:

> On Dec 9, 2010, at 2:38 AM, Cameron Byrne wrote:
>
>>  I still fail to see the value of LISP in a mature and sane  IPv6 world.
>
> Abstraction of the global routing table away from direct dependence upon the underlying transport in use at a given endpoint network alone offers huge benefits for futureproofing; there are lots of other benefits as well, for mobility, CDNs, and so forth.

I believe a lot of folks think the routing paths should be tightly
coupled with the physical topology.  If not, there is MPLS.

If underlying transport is IPv6, i don't see the incremental value
(hence mature IPv6 world comment, most major ISPs are pretty well
along the way).  IP Mobility as in Mobile IP already exists .... not
terribly popular.

There is already abstraction within most ISPs with MPLS.  Yet another
layer of abstraction is just not something i would consider lightly
with Internet scale.  Just my humble opinion.

Today, IPv6 provides real value with larger address space.  MPLS
provides real value with FRR and network virtualization (MPLS L3
VPNs).  In a mature IPv6 world, that is sane, i am not sure what the
real value of LISP is.

But, IMHO, i do think there is something to the long term value of
ILNP.  I am just very biased again additional tunnels,
encapsulation/overhead, complexity, and that is what LISP is, edge to
edge tunnels.  Then there is the question of who benefits from LISP
and who pays.  The edge pays and the DFZ guys benefit (they deffer
router upgrades).... i already pay the DFZ guys enough today.

Cameron