Over a decade of DDOS--any progress yet?

Dobbins, Roland rdobbins at arbor.net
Wed Dec 8 16:49:28 UTC 2010

On Dec 8, 2010, at 11:38 PM, Jack Bates wrote:

> I think the difference here is scale. packet-flooding attacks often do
> fill links; if the links drop to 155mb/s or below.

I'm not saying that link-flooding attacks don't happen; they certainly do, and on very big links, sometimes.

But in the scheme of things, they don't happen nearly as often as they used to, as the attackers simply don't need to fill the links in order to accomplish their goals, in most cases.

It's also important to note that a lot of DDoS isn't directly perpetrated by those who wish the DDoS performed, but rather is hired out to botmasters who're paid to execute the attacks.  Even if the person who is the motivating force behind the attack is paying in stolen credit cards or whatever, he doesn't want to pay for more than is needed to accomplish his goal.

 	       Sell your computer and buy a guitar.