Over a decade of DDOS--any progress yet?

Sean Donelan sean at donelan.com
Wed Dec 8 04:26:18 UTC 2010

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
>> But as you and others have pointed out, not a lot of defense against
>> DDoS these days besides horsepower and anycast. :-)
>
> Not just anycast.  I said distributed architecture.  There are more
> ways to distribute than anycast.

The content-side can be duplicated, replicated, distributed.  On the
eyeball-side its not as easy to replicate things.  DDOS against user
networks doesn't generate as much publicity, outside of the gammer world,
but is also a problem.

Other than trying to hide your real address, what can be done to prevent
DDOS in the first place.