Lightning Debates at NANOG 51

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Tue Dec 7 20:29:54 UTC 2010

> They are meant to be informative. Maybe you have no idea on what XFP or
> SFP+ is because you've been running a Gigabit based network and haven't
> made the jump to 10GE yet - the debate might give you the top 3-5
> points on why each might be the right option for you. And then, of
> course, there is a fun factor.
>
> Tom

In most cases it isn't an option, you use what the hardware uses.  I can't decide to use an SFP+ in a unit with XFP form factor.  I select the hardware according to the features I need and then buy the optics it requires, I don't select the hardware based on the optics modules it uses.  The only drawback I have seen so far is finding ER optics in SFP+ form factor but they might be available now (I couldn't find them a year or so ago).

A good topic might be ipv6 migration strategies:  dual stack or native v6 with nat64/dns64