Lightning Debates at NANOG 51

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Dec 7 19:49:49 UTC 2010

On Dec 7, 2010, at 11:20 AM, Tom Daly wrote:

> Folks,
> I've been tempted by the NANOG PC into trying to run some "Lightning Debates" at NANOG 51 in Miami. The idea, similar to lighting talks, is a 30 minute session, covering 3 debate topics, 10 minutes each. Each person would get 5 minutes to argue their side of the issue.
>
> Some ideas so far:
>
> UPS Systems: Battery vs. Flywheel

Which side will be represented by the folks from 365 Main?

> Cooling: Raised floor vs. Underfloor

What about overhead (which is the usual opposite to underfloor
which is the same as raised floor in most cases)

> Power: AC vs. DC

I think this is more context sensitive and that a one-size fits all argument
on either side wouldn't make much sense.

> Ethernet: 40GE vs. 100GE

ROFL

> Optics: XFP vs. SFP+

This is a debate topic? Really?