Over a decade of DDOS--any progress yet?

Jonas Frey (Probe Networks) jf at probe-networks.de
Mon Dec 6 09:07:55 UTC 2010

Besides having *alot* of bandwidth theres not really much you can do to
mitigate. Once you have the bandwidth you can filter (w/good hardware).
Even if you go for 802.3ba with 40/100 Gbps...you'll need alot of pipes.

Spoofed attacks have reduced significally probably because the use of
RPF. However we still see these from time to time.

TCP SYN attacks are still quite frequent...these can push alot of pps at
times.

The attack vectors have changed. Years ago people used hacked *nix boxes
with big pipes to start their attacks as only these had enough
bandwidth. Nowadays the consumers have alot more bandwidth and its
easier than ever to setup your own botnet by infecting users with
malware and alike. Even tho end users usually have less than 2mbps
upstream the pure amount of infected users makes it worse than ever.
Most of the time (depending on the attack) its also hard to
differentiate which IP addresse are attacking and which are legitimate
users.

I do not see a real solution to this problem right now...theres not much
you can do about the unwilligness of users to keep their software/OS
up2date and deploy anti-virus/anti-malware software (and keep it
up2date).
Some approaches have been made like cutting of internet access for users
which have been identified by ISPs for beeing member of some
botnet/beeing infected.
This might be the only long-term solution to this probably. There is
just no patch for human stupidity.