Want to move to all 208V for server racks

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Sat Dec 4 19:03:34 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 10:33 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> And in fact, much carrier class equipment can be had with -48V power, there
> are ATX and similar power supplies for PCs that are -48, and I *think* I've
> commercial small UPSs (<3kVa) that give with -48 as well... using 48V
> battery strings, obviously.

Take a look at the Solar/Renewable energy systems, Xantrex (Schneider
actually) makes the XW series inverter/chargers which use 48V  battery
strings and can be paralleled up to a rated total of about
18kW at 120/240.  This is done by paralleling 3x 6kW inverter/chargers.
They've an integrated transfer switch, load shaving/sharing (IE if
you've got say 6kW of generator, but 12kW of Inverter, the system
capacity is up to 12kW, with battery assist).

And that's just one option, Magnasine makes parallel inverter/charger
and inverter systems up to around 12kW, also using 48VDC (or 24VDC)
strings.

Both of these are sinewave inverters.

There's also a telco oriented 48V inverter rack system thats escaping
my mind at the moment.  It can be setup with A/B 48V strings, and you
plug in inverter modules up to IIRC around 8kW.  Not parallel capable
between racks AFAIK.