Domain shut downs by Registrar?

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 15:49:47 UTC 2010

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 10:45 AM, John R. Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
>>> We do remember, don't we, that the domain that started this discussion
>>> were shut down by Verisign, the registry, not a registrar?
>
>> interesting that in THIS case the registry just took the action, was
>> the domain registered through their registrar arm?
>
> They haven't had a registrar arm since they spun off Network Solutions in
> 2002.

thanks... so, in this case, why did they take this action? why didn't
they push the action to the registrar? or did they and the registrar
refused to comply? (potentially because the domains weren't violating
a TOS?)

I suppose though, on the good side, we can expect the Verisign folks
to now shutdown other domains we bring to their attention as
malware/spamware/etc without protest?

-chris