Want to move to all 208V for server racks

Darren Bolding darren at bolding.org
Thu Dec 2 21:42:45 UTC 2010

One thing to be aware of- if you are going to be connecting gear with bigger
current draws- Cisco 6509's, most blade enclosures etc. come to mind- then
many of them effectively require 208V C19 connectors.

There are not as many power strips out there that provide sufficient numbers
of C19 connectors as would be desired, particularly if you want remote
switched power.

In that case 3 Phase power becomes more attractive.  Since many datacenters
are moving towards consolidation on Blades with SAN backend storage, it is
worth keeping in mind.

In the current DC's we support, we find the only need for 120V is for
laptops and such, which is solved by "convenience outlets" that are not on
the UPS plant.  We always get at least two 120V circuits just in case they
are needed, but haven't had any requirements for them recently.

--D

--
--  Darren Bolding                  --
--  darren at bolding.org           --