Want to move to all 208V for server racks

Jeremy Bresley brez at brezworks.com
Thu Dec 2 17:09:35 UTC 2010

On 12/2/2010 9:58 AM, Jay Nakamura wrote:
> I really want to move all newly installed internal and customer racks
> over to all 208v power instead of 120v.  As far as I can remember, I
> can't remember any server/switch/router or any other equipment that
> didn't run on 208v AC.  (Other than you may need a different cable)
> Anyone have any experience where some oddball equipment that couldn't
> do 208v and regret going 208v?  We won't have any TDM or SONET
> equipment, all Ethernet switches, routers and servers.  I have control
> over internal equipment but sometimes customers surprises you.

Biggest issue we see with people still needing 120V outlets is external
modems for out of band access.  Most of the time these modems are
attached to the console of carrier managed routers.

Or as others in the thread have mentioned, wall-warts for things like
USB hard drives, low-end KVMs, etc often are NEMA 5-15P plugs hardwired
to them.  ASA5505s have this problem with the cable as well, but their
power supplies will work on 208V with the necessary adapter.

Jeremy