Want to move to all 208V for server racks

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Dec 2 16:38:35 UTC 2010

On Dec 2, 2010, at 7:58 AM, Jay Nakamura wrote:

> I really want to move all newly installed internal and customer racks
> over to all 208v power instead of 120v.  As far as I can remember, I
> can't remember any server/switch/router or any other equipment that
> didn't run on 208v AC.  (Other than you may need a different cable)
> Anyone have any experience where some oddball equipment that couldn't
> do 208v and regret going 208v?  We won't have any TDM or SONET
> equipment, all Ethernet switches, routers and servers.  I have control
> over internal equipment but sometimes customers surprises you.

I once had a cage that was all 220v. Wasn't an issue at all. Had two
devices that required some effort to work around...

1.	A small media converter. This was powered by a wall-wart style
	power supply that fed it 12v DC, but, the wall wart that shipped
	with it did not handle 220v. No regret, but, a quick trip to Fry's
	to buy a suitable universal wall-wart with 220v capability and
	problem solved.

2.	Our cordless screwdriver charger would not accept 220v.
	Initially, we just plugged it into an outlet in the customer work
	area whenever we were at the datacenter. Long term solution,
	we bought one of those international transformers and
	hooked it up that way.

I think we might have built some of our own adapter cables to
deal with plug issues, but, it's pretty easy to build 3-wire pigtail
converters and Home Despot has all the necessary supplies.

Owen