FUD: 15% of world's internet traffic hijacked

Marshall Eubanks tme at americafree.tv
Wed Dec 1 20:42:55 UTC 2010

Dear Randy;

On Dec 1, 2010, at 3:28 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

>> At the very least you might want to review:
>> http://www.renesys.com/blog/2010/11/chinas-18-minute-mystery.shtml
>> Renesys provides one data point but there are others that clearly show
>> traffic routed *through* China (meaning they did indeed
>> originate/hijack, and then pass data on to the original destination).
>
> as usual i see no traffic measurements in the renesys note.  i see
> inference of traffic based on some control plane measurements.  and, has
> been shown, such inferences are highly suspect.

Doesn't this traceroute (from the above) seem fairly convincing of transit ? (Not of the _amount_ of transit, just of its _existence_ ?)

...here's one of the typical traceroutes we saw during the incident, between the London Internet Exchange and a host in the USA, passing through China Telecom. This trace was collected at 16:03 UTC, about 13 minutes into the event. Total time in transit is 525ms (this trace typically takes no more than 110ms under normal conditions).

1. <our host>	0.785ms	    	# London
2. 195.66.248.229	1.752ms		# London
3. 195.66.225.54	1.371ms		# London
4. 202.97.52.101	399.707ms		# China Telecom
5. 202.97.60.6	408.006ms		# China Telecom
6. 202.97.53.121	432.204ms		# China Telecom
7. 4.71.114.101	323.690ms		# Level3
8. 4.68.18.254	357.566ms		# Level3
9. 4.69.134.221	481.273ms		# Level3
10. 4.69.132.14	506.159ms		# Level3
11. 4.69.132.78	463.024ms		# Level3
12. 4.71.170.78	449.416ms		# Level3
13. 66.174.98.66	456.970ms		# Verizon
14. 66.174.105.24	459.652ms		# Verizon
[.. four more Verizon hops ..]
19. 69.83.32.3	508.757ms		# Verizon
20. <last hop>	516.006ms		# Verizon

And doesn't the graph in  Craig Labovitz's blog seem consistent with a modest (not overwhelming, or even unusual)
amount of excess traffic during the event ?

http://asert.arbornetworks.com/2010/11/china-hijacks-15-of-internet-traffic/

So, putting this, and everything else, together, wouldn't it be reasonable to conclude, that

- some traffic was diverted but
- nowhere near 15% of the Internet, by orders of magnitude ?

Regards
Marshall