Cage nuts/rack hw near SAVVIS DC3 (Sterling VA)

Jameel Akari jakari at bithose.com
Wed Dec 1 17:47:09 UTC 2010

> Or, you could do what our co-loc does, have a large coffee can with screws,
> nuts, etc and a few shared screwdrivers in another.  On your way in, grab the
> nuts/screws and a screwdriver, on your way out put unused and extras back in
> the can.

I like this idea better - which is what one of our DCs does for snacks and
food.  Box of Pop-Tarts, with an honor system can for payment.  Partially
for the staff, but they put it out in the customer area along with free
coffee.  Coke machine costs $0.50.  There is at least one operator on
duty 24/7; if I really needed to I could go knock on the door and have
them scrounge up tools and screws.  There is a Home Depot a half mile
away failing that.

This all sounds a little silly compared to the normal datacenter facility
issues like power, security, telecomm... but indeed these touches go a
long way towards customer satisfaction when you're there for an entire
weekend for some big install.  Next time we look for new facilities, I
know I'll have these in mind.

An aside: There is a special place in hell reserved for those who throw
out "unneeded" rack hardware. ;)

--
Jameel Akari