Did your BGP crash today?

Claudio Jeker cjeker at diehard.n-r-g.com
Sat Aug 28 11:42:22 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 04:56:05PM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
> imiho, researchers injecting data into the control plane are responsible
> to have tested it at least against major bgp speakers.  and, considering
> its placement in the net (big core), i consider ios xr to be a major
> speaker.
>
> i suspect that these folk will test better next time.  i sure hope so.

I think you blame the wrong people. The vendor should make sure that their
implementation does not violate the very basics of the BGP protocol.
This bug in the IOS XR BGP implementation was a ticking time bomb and it
was just a matter of when it would blow up.

I suspect that Cisco will test better next time when they release a new
version of their software. I sure hope so.

--
:wq Claudio