Did your BGP crash today?

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Fri Aug 27 19:17:40 UTC 2010

On 2010-08-27 21:13, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 01:29:15PM -0400, Jared Mauch wrote:
>>
>> Unknown BGP attribute 99 (flags: 240)
>> Unknown BGP attribute 99 (flags: 240)
>> Unknown BGP attribute 99 (flags: 240)
>> Unknown BGP attribute 99 (flags: 240)
>> Unknown BGP attribute 99 (flags: 240)
>
> Just out of curiosity, at what point will we as operators rise up
> against the ivory tower protocol designers at the IETF and demand that
> they add a mechanism to not bring down the entire BGP session because of
> a single malformed attribute? Did I miss the memo about the meeting?
> I'll bring the punch and pie.

Complain to your vendor, especially C & J are having good enough
influence on the IETF to make such a change possible.

I can agree with tearing the session down when one encounters an
improperly formatted message, but an unknown attribute, while the rest
of the format of message is fine, is a silly thing to hang up on indeed.

Greets,
 Jeroen