Did your BGP crash today?

Thomas Mangin thomas.mangin at exa-networks.co.uk
Fri Aug 27 18:41:25 UTC 2010

On 27 Aug 2010, at 19:27, Grzegorz Janoszka wrote:

> On 27-08-10 19:31, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
>> On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 19:27:06 +0200, Kasper Adel said:
>>> Havent seen a thread on this one so thought i'd start one.
>>>
>>> Ripe tested a new attribute that crashed the internet, is that true?
>>
>> If it in fact "crashed the internet", as opposed to "gave a few buggy routers
>> here and there indigestion", you wouldn't be posting to NANOG looking for
>> confirmation. :)
>
> https://www.ams-ix.net/statistics/
>
> Not whole internet, but a part. And the "few buggy routers here and there" were mostly Cisco CRS-1's which didn't understand the new attribute and sent a malformed message to all peers, causing them to close the BGP session.

In a way it remind me of the ASN4 bug .. Until a vendor fix is available I guess that the details are better left off public mailing lists.
http://www.uknof.org.uk/uknof12/Davidson-4_byte_asn.pdf

> I think most of the impact was limited to Europe, especially Amsterdam area.

Yes, It had an effect on ISPs which are connected to RIS. http://www.ripe.net/ris/
AFAIK this mean ASes at LINX and AMS-IX . The LINX graph shows a similar (but smaller) dip of 50-60 GB.

Thomas