IP characteristics for 3G and WiFi links

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Aug 26 20:25:50 UTC 2010

I think you have your latency numbers backwards. In my experience, HSDPA
has higher RTT than WiFi. Why would you limit your Wifi to A/G? If you're using
5Ghz (A), much better to go to N than A. N has slight advantages over G in the
2.4Ghz realm.

Your stated packet loss rates are obscenely high and loss at those rates would
severely degrade user experience. Loss over 1% is enough to cause significant
slow-down in TCP short-lived or interactive flows and 2% is more than enough
to effect even longer continuous data flows.

I have not done comparisons of average loss rates between WiFi and 3G
services where the loss rates were so high because either one would be
basically unusable until the packet loss was reduced.

Owen