IP characteristics for 3G and WiFi links

Daniel Migault mglt.biz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 10:26:25 UTC 2010

Hi,

We are testing protocols on our lab platform and we would like to simulate
communication 2 types of communication :
   - From terminals to service platform using a 3G (HSPA / HSPA+) Access
connection
   - From terminal to service platform using a WiFi Access connection

We are using dummyNet to simulate the links so we are interested  in IP
characteristics layers for Packet loss Rate, bandwidth and latency. Values
depends on multiple factors, but we would like to know what mean values are
considered when services are deployed.

Currently we are considering the following values. Packet Lost Rate for L2
seems 7% for Wifi and 5% for 3G. We are wondering how L3 is affected?

Parameter           | Wifi (802.11a/g) | 3G (HSDPA)
Latency                100 ms               60 ms
Bandwidth             5 Mbps               3 Mbps
Packet Lost Rate   XXX                   XXX

Any comment links will be appreciated.

Regards,
Daniel
--