Jim Shankland nanog at
Mon Aug 23 08:27:00 CDT 2010

Mark Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 05:59:43 -0400
> Valdis.Kletnieks at wrote:
> I missed that, and that answers the "was it a GigaBytes verses Gigabits
> error" question. Nothing new here by the looks of it - people in this
> thread were getting those sorts of speeds a year ago out of PC hardware
> under Linux -
> "I have achieved a collective throughput of 66.25 Gbit/s."
> "We've achieved 70 Gbps aggregate unidirectional TCP performance from
> one P6T6 based system to another."

Very nice, but doing this with 1514-byte packets is the low-hanging
fruit.  (9K packets?  That's the fruit that falls off the tree and
into your basket while you're napping :-).)  The more interesting limit:
how many 40-byte packets per second can you shovel into this system
and still have all of them come out the other end?

Jim Shankland