Should routers send redirects by default?

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Fri Aug 20 17:44:52 UTC 2010

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> As I stated in the 6man discussion, I prefer routers to by default not
> send redirects. We do that in our configuration template.

I often turn them off, but I'm not sure why. If they aren't needed,
generally they won't be issued anyways (p2p links, router only segments,
etc). About the only case where they might be issued and I don't want
them is in policy routing situations. In host based broadcast domains, I
usually want them to limit the amount of traffic redirection I need to do.

Jack