Should routers send redirects by default?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Fri Aug 20 17:40:46 UTC 2010

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010, Jack Bates wrote:

> Why should the ietf dictate a default on this?

Because that's what the IETF does, sets a SHOULD on "best common
practice" after discussion in the community.

> Requiring implementation I could understand, but setting the default?
> Should the ietf also specify requirement of allowing configuration
> change of a default?

I'd say by definition it's meaningless of talking about a default that
can't be changed.

As I stated in the 6man discussion, I prefer routers to by default not
send redirects. We do that in our configuration template.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se