Monitoring Tools

Nathan Eisenberg nathan at atlasnetworks.us
Thu Aug 19 18:52:41 UTC 2010

> Am looking for an opensource network monitoring tool with ability to create
> different views for different users.
>
> Regards,Jacob

Just to add another opinion to the pot, I've used zabbix in several large environments, and I like it a lot.  The developer team is decently sized, and very responsive to requests and feedback (they operate a commercial 'support' model for the platform, so working on the system is literally their day job - as George pointed out, this is often a problem).

Zabbix also supports distributed monitoring, which is very handy for scaling or for monitoring multiple locations without dealing with VPNS and the like (or if you have places you need to monitor behind NATs!).  Its major weakness at the moment is the weak support for SNMP traps (works great in polling mode, though), so you will want a separate simple system for catching traps.  In my opinion, that's just fine, because statistics/trending/basic resource alerting/etc are best kept separate from things like "OMG one of my powersupplies is dead!!11one".

Also supports IPMI, which is nice if you have IPMI deployed.  :-)

Best Regards,
Nathan Eisenberg