Recycling old cabling?

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 08:24:41 UTC 2010

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 02:38:12 -0400, <khatfield at socllc.net> wrote:
> I worked with a company that threw away / recycled nearly an entire 100k
> sq. foot datacenter. All of the gear still in working order. It's just
> one those things...

There are constraints beyond the logic of "common sense".  And it flows
 from the accounting department :-)

A former employer had a bunch of old PCs replaced.  The old ones, for "tax
reasons", had to be destroyed.  Which meant they had to go in the
dumpster.  What happens to them after that is not my concern; I won't even
notice if they aren't in there when the truck comes to empty that
dumpster.  Do what NCSU's ACS ("the hall of records") used to do... post
to the news groups when ever they had anything "interesting" to throw away.

In today's world, throwing a computer in a dumpster (headed to a landfill)
is illegal just about everywhere.  esp. CA.

--Ricky