Numbering nameservers and resolvers

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Mon Aug 16 22:47:38 UTC 2010

On 8/15/2010 11:49 PM, Mike wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am needing to renumber some core infrastructure - namely, my
> nameservers and my resolvers - and I was wondering if the collective
> wisdom still says heck yes keep this stuff all on seperate subnets
> away from eachother?

Authoritative name servers should be on different networks, preferably
in entirely different facilities. You've already had good suggestions
about swapping secondary service, etc.

Resolving name servers should be separate from authoritative ones, but
there is no reason that they can't be on the same subnet(s).

It's still a good idea to have more than one resolver on each local
network, but there is also no reason they can't be on the same subnet as
well. For larger and/or highly performance sensitive installations
anycasting the resolvers (so that you only need 1 IP in resolv.conf) is
becoming more popular.

> Anyone got advice either way? Should I try to give sequential numbers
> to my resolvers for the benefit of consultants ... like .11, .22 and
> .33 for my server ips?

This sounds more like a local preference issue. Presumably the people
who don't type into config files for a living will have their hosts
configured with DHCP, and those who do will know how to copy and paste. :)

hth,

Doug

PS, if you need more formal help, see the URL below.

			-- Propellerheads