BCP38 exceptions for RFC1918 space

Adam Armstrong lists at memetic.org
Sun Aug 15 23:35:09 UTC 2010

On 15/08/2010 18:02, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Valdis Kletnieks:

>>> ICMP "fragmentation needed, but DF set" messages carry the a addresses
>>> of intermediate routers which generate them (potentially in response
>>> to MTU drops) as source addresses, not the IP addresses of the peers
>>> in a connection.
>>
>> If any long-haul carriers are originating ICMP packets for other people's
>> consumption from 1918 addresses rather than addresses in their address space,
>> it's time to name-n-shame so the rest of us can vote with our feet and
>> checkbooks.  There's no excuse for that in this day and age.
>
> What does "originating" mean?  Creating the packets?  Or forwarding
> them?

My bus originates in the town of bananaville, but before it finally
originates at mangoburgh, it originates through 5 other towns.

Wow, that would be a confusing language to speak. ;)

The origin is the beginning point of something, where it is created.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/origin

I'll let you off as you're German and German doesn't use any words with
related etymology :>

Though really, if you know BGP you should understand the term 'origin'.

adam.