Lightly used IP addresses

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sun Aug 15 20:18:09 UTC 2010

On Aug 15, 2010, at 4:06 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

> as a reader of this thread with any memory can clearly see, when i asked
> about a change to the lrsa (with which you clearly disagree), i was told
> to submit a suggestion and to go through the policy process.
>
> when you want a change to the same agreement, whammy, it can magically
> be done with a quick internal process.

Randy -

I understand your confusion.  If you find a typo, or grammatical error,
or phrase which is contradictory, I can fix it the next version.  If you
have a suggestion for LRSA content change, please use the suggestion
process or take it up at a meeting as you prefer.

For the particular change that you want, I was noting that NRPM 4.1
(not 6.4.1 as I wrote) specifically cites RFC 2050:

> 4.1.7. RFC 2050
>
> ARIN takes guidance from allocation and assignment policies and procedures set forth in RFC 2050. These guidelines were developed to meet the needs of the larger Internet community in conserving scarce IPv4 address space and allowing continued use of existing Internet routing technologies.

and as a result, you should look to the IETF to update the RFC2050
guidance or the Policy Development process to remove the reference.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO