Lightly used IP addresses

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 23:10:56 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 21:32, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
> when the 'community' is defined as those policy wannabes who do the
> flying, take the cruise junkets, ... this is a self-perpetuating
> steaming load that is not gonna change.

Yes, those definitions create a steaming load.

But why is it that the folks actually participating in making policy
are "wannabes" in your definition?

I suggest the true definition of "community" includes at least *all*
of the non-AC-member participants in the ARIN policy process; the
folks who subscribe to the PPML and show up at meetings (or
participate remotely at a greatly reduced cost but nearly equal
voice). There are 15 AC members and around 150 participants at each
meeting... That means that _most_ are *not* being funded by ARIN.

For those who claim the system to not be open, I humbly provide myself
as a test case. I am not one of the "good old boys" of ARIN (if there
is such a thing) and I have never had ARIN pay my way to a meeting (or
for a cruise junket). In fact I am far too young and inexperienced to
possibly qualify as any kind of ruling elite who is handing down
decrees from above. I have however contributed to the formation of
several policies in the ARIN region and to the crafting of several
others currently under discussion, one on a global level amongst all 5
RIRs. I attended a meeting, joined the mailing list and spoke up.
Simple as that. I highly encourage everyone who has an opinion on
Internet numbering policy to do the same.

Cheers,
~Chris

--
@ChrisGrundemann