Lightly used IP addresses

Ken Chase ken at sizone.org
Fri Aug 13 21:29:26 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 04:18:01PM -0500, Dan White said:
  >Make a public example of the situation. Assign such a block to an ARIN
  >member with extensive legal resources who's willing to send some nasty
  >letters out, and back it up with court action to establish legal
  >precedence.
  >
  >Or ARIN could do so itself on the grounds of breach of contract.
  >
  >Of course, said block should clearly fall within ARIN's domain, backed up
  >with a signed contract from the original party.

Many of these outfits already have cashflow issue - suing them into the ground
when they're already underwater is probably a cash-losing situation for ARIN.
And I bet other orgs who are in good financial standing dont want to fund a
suit against a judgement-proof org and lose money pushing lawyers around just
for fun - not until IPs are worth $10+/IP/month at least, anyway. Then the
lawsuits might be worth the investment.

Pretty awesome: I see a new industry forming: IP REPO MEN.

(Dont know if we can cast Emilio Estevez in th movie version, he's a bit too old now...)

/kc
--
Ken Chase - ken at heavycomputing.ca - +1 416 897 6284 - Toronto CANADA
Heavy Computing - Clued bandwidth, colocation and managed linux VPS @151 Front St. W.