Lightly used IP addresses

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Aug 13 20:05:45 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 1:36 PM, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
>>http://www.circleid.com/posts/psst_interested_in_some_lightly_used_ip_addresses/
>
> I don't entirely understand the process.  Here's the flow chart as far
> as I've figured it out:
>
> 1.  A sells a /20 of IPv4 space to B for, say, $5,000
> 2.  A tells ARIN to transfer the chunk to B
> 3.  ARIN says no, B hasn't shown that they need it
> 4.  A and B say screw it, and B announces the space anyway

1. B applies for a block of IPv4 addresses from ARIN.

2. ARIN says: "You qualify for a /20. You have been added to the
waiting list. You may also receive a transfer."

3. B finds A offering to sell a /20 on ebay or wherever.

4. A sells a /20 of IPv4 space to B for, say, $5,000

5. A tells ARIN to transfer the chunk to B

6. ARIN tells B: "A has authorized the transfer of x.y.z.0/20 to you.
You previously qualified for a /20. Pay your registration fee at
http://website to complete the transfer."

7. You pay. The /20 is transferred.

It remains to be seen if / how well this works. But that's the basic plan.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004