Lightly used IP addresses

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Fri Aug 13 17:55:54 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 10:44:12AM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:

> On Aug 13, 2010, at 10:36 AM, John Levine wrote:
>
> >> http://www.circleid.com/posts/psst_interested_in_some_lightly_used_ip_addresses/
> >> Discuss.  :-)
> >
> > I don't entirely understand the process.  Here's the flow chart as far
> > as I've figured it out:
> >
> > 1.  A sells a /20 of IPv4 space to B for, say, $5,000
> >
> > 2.  A tells ARIN to transfer the chunk to B
> >
> > 3.  ARIN says no, B hasn't shown that they need it
> >
> > 4.  A and B say screw it, and B announces the space anyway
> >
> > 5.  ???
> >
> > R's,
> > John
>
> 6.	ARIN receives a fraud/abuse complaint that A's space is being used by B.
> 7.	ARIN discovers that A is no longer using the space in accordance with their RSA
> 8.	ARIN reclaims the space and A and B are left to figure out who owes what to whom.

	could you provide 4 numbers for me please?

	) % of ARIN managed resource covered by standard RSA?
	) % of ARIN managed legacy resource covered by legacy RSA?
	) % of ARIN managed legacy resource not otherwise covered?
	) % of ARIN region entities (A & B above) that have offices/relationships
	  with other RIRs that have a divergent transfer process in place?

	I think your analysis might be true for my first bucket, am less sure it would
	work for the remaining three.

--bill