Cost of transit and options in APAC

Franck Martin franck at genius.com
Fri Aug 13 06:41:34 UTC 2010

It always amaze me how the word de-regulated is so misused.

When there is a monopoly the regulation is in fact very very light: Acme co is the monopoly and government cash in dividends/license fees and just check they don't do anything really silly.

When there is competition this is when you have a heavy regulation, because all the players have now to play nicely with each others (access to each other network, anti competitive practices, keeping your number, roaming, inter-exchange, spectrum allocation,...). When competition comes the regulatory unit becomes bigger.

In short competition increase regulation, it certainly does not decrease it.