Cost of transit and options in APAC

Dorian Kim dorian at blackrose.org
Thu Aug 12 12:26:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 05:41:16PM -0500, Benson Schliesser wrote:

> On 11 Aug 10, at 5:15 PM, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>
> >> Obviously I can't speak for the providers in question, but I'd guess
> >> that the cost for transit in AP is strongly related to the cost of
> >> long-haul transport.
> >
> > Start with something that can be effectively isolated from the
> > transpacific path.
> >
> > Gotten a quote for a 1Gbe or 10Gbe between two cities in India recently?
>
> That could be useful.  Sadly, I have no first-hand knowledge of these costs.  How does in-country transport compare to trans-Pacific transport cost? (i.e. on a per Mbps per kilometer or similar metric)  I assume it's cheaper in-country / in-region compared to trans-oceanic.  Is this true?

This is not an assumption you can make safely depending on the country and specific
sub-region you are talking about.

If you go back to mid 90s, the situation was much the same in Europe, which was why
US East coast was the default location for IP traffic exchange for Europe until the
costs started to change.

-dorian