Cost of transit and options in APAC

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Thu Aug 12 02:01:38 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 12:53:18PM -0700, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> On 8/11/10 12:29 PM, Franck Martin wrote:
> > Nice to see this change....
> >
> > APAC has been obliged to pay the cost to peer with the US (long
> > distance links are expensive). Now that US wants to peer with Asia,
> > pricing may become more balanced...
>
> I think the question is more like why am I being quoted $100 A megabit
> in India for transit in India? Not why am I being charged for for the
> transport cost across the pacific.

Because the percentage of traffic that actually stays in India, as compared
to that which transits the Pacific, is miniscule.  If you're asking for
enough bandwidth / throwing enough money around, I'm sure you could get an
Indian-only deal, but you'd need to make it worth the while for the provider
to setup the config, given that either way they'll be getting your money,
and you won't be using a lot of transpacific traffic.  Note also that it's
unlikely that the provider will be getting a differentiated rate from their
upstreams for internal traffic, and you may have to settle for peering-only
access (if your chosen provider is connected to any peering points).

- Matt

--
Ruby's the only language I've ever used that feels like it was designed by a
programmer, and not by a hardware engineer (Java, C, C++), an academic