off-topic: historical query concerning the Internet bubble

Andrew Odlyzko odlyzko at umn.edu
Wed Aug 11 19:34:56 UTC 2010

Jessica,

As I explained in an email in response to your earlier posting, my
paper makes it very clear that Mike O'Dell and John Sidgmore were,
for most of the time in the 1997-2001 time frame, talking of a
doubling every 100 days of capacity, not traffic, and only for
UUNet.  (In fact, the Sidgmore paper from Vortex98 that I have
just posted, at http://www.dtc.umn.edu/~odlyzko/isources/sidgmore-vortex98b.pdf,
has him saying pretty explicitly that UUNet was gaining market
share, and the rest of the industry was growing more slowly.)
However, the press, and the public, assumed that the traffic
of the entire Internet was growing at those rates.  How people
could make such a mistake is a mystery that I point out as a
mystery in my paper.

In fact, the Sidgmore paper has an interesting exchange.  In
the Q&A session (included in the paper), Bob Lucky asks Sidgmore
about traffic growth, clearly assuming that Sidgmore had been
talking of traffic.  Sidgmore responds, very clearly talking
about capacity, but clearly assuming that Lucky had asked
about capacity.  So here we have a record of two people, both
industry insiders, talking past each other.  Another mystery to
add to the others.

If you want to get into this further, let's take the discussion
off-list, as I doubt this picayune non-operational matter will
interest too many folks here.

Best regards,
Andrew