off-topic: historical query concerning the Internet bubble

kris foster kris.foster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 06:48:50 UTC 2010

A comment from Jeremy Orbell at LINX:
--

The period of growth being discussed predates my own involvement in the industry as I didn't join LINX until 2003. However I do know that LINX regularly announced new traffic milestones at the exchange as they happened back in the late 90s. I've looked back through our archive of press releases and noted a few of these so you will get an idea of how peak traffic was increasing at LINX at that time.

27 April 1998 - 200 Mbps
24 August 1999 - 850 Mbps
17 September 1999 - 1 Gbps
5 November 1999 - 1.25 Gbps
13 December 1999 - 1.5 Gbps
27 March 2000 - 2 Gbps
11 January 2001 - 5 Gbps

Unfortunately I cannot post links the original material as it isn't available online at the moment but in the LINX 15th anniversary issue of HotLINX last year we reprinted a copy of a LINX press release from 17th September 1999 which said:

"The London Internet Exchange is pleased to announce it has this week reached traffic levels of one Gigabit, positioning it clearly as one of the top 5 Internet Exchanges in the world. This shows a 455% increase in traffic from the level of 180 Mbps one year ago."

Looking at that 180 Mbps number it looks like it might refer to a Spring 1998 figure rather than September 1998 because I did find a reference to a peak of 200 Mbps being achieved in April of that year. The discrepency could perhaps be explained by other means such as averages but like I say, it was before my time.

Anyway, the full press release which I quoted from can be read on page 3 of the following PDF:https://www.linx.net/files/hotlinx/hotlinx-20.pdf

I hope this will be of hope to you.

Jeremy Orbell
LINX Marketing & Communications