off-topic: historical query concerning the Internet bubble

Jeff Young young at jsyoung.net
Tue Aug 10 23:28:48 UTC 2010

At the time these statements were made it was possible to make reasonable
assumptions about the size of the Internet.  As a Tier 1 knew how much traffic our
customer links generated by the size of the link.  We knew exactly how much
traffic stayed within our backbones and how much traffic ended up in a
peering arrangement.   We knew with some precision just how much of the
Tier 2 ISP market was connected to us and how much was connected to others,
and who the others were.  I don't think the theory still holds but traffic on-net
versus off-net was a pretty good indication of market share.

Today's Internet handles much more traffic in-region and is bounded by
phenomenon such as language barrier (although the amount of spam I get
in Chinese characters has increased recently, who let the barrier down?).
This phenomenon wasn't as prominent in '98-'01 and while I wouldn't say
it's impossible I think you'd have to commission the folks at UCSD to get
anything that resembled a value for total Internet capacity today.

Doubling in 9-12 months was a reasonable figure back then.  100 days
might have been a short-term spike caused by a back-log of activations
(we sometimes stopped the machine while we made upgrades) but it
certainly was an anomaly.

jy