AW: Recommended 1Gb SFP for ~115km?

Will Hargrave will at harg.net
Tue Aug 10 21:28:04 UTC 2010

On 4 Aug 2010, at 17:58, Thomas Weible wrote:

> Cisco did a quite good job on implementing the DDM characteristics of the optics. So why not to take a 32dB or even 41dB power budget SFP and make it workable in the switch / router. Works like charm in some setups and you see straight the actual line.

Sadly not the case here.

OP is using a 6506, and the majority of the 67xx linecards released (which are the decent gige linecards for 6500) don't even support DDM/DOM at all. Only the very latest hardware revisions do. Sigh.

Other vendors refuse to report light levels from optics they didn't supply. This is just a bad-faith way round the RFP/tender clauses we've all been including for the past 5 years prohibiting vendor locking optics. Shame on them.

Will