Google wants your Internet to be faster

Mike Sabbota mike at sabbota.com
Tue Aug 10 17:02:30 UTC 2010

I don't see providers ever pushing it that far down the stream. Would you be
willing to pay more for your consumer connection to maintain those types of
features? Business connections, absolutely.

It's really about controlling bandwidth on the shared link, not your
individual home connection.  So for connectivity feeding a neighborhood or
apartment building the question arises do you allow multiple users to use
all of the bandwidth for P2P and crowd out your Netflix traffic?  The
question is should Netflix have to pay more to ensure quality service to
their streaming subscribers?

I view this exercise as paying for priority when the circuit is full -- like
a special carpool lane.  It's not like the provider will randomly send  you
traffic you don't want.  If Netflix sucks do you blame your provider or
Netflix? In the end, do you switch providers or cancel Netflix?  My guess is
most consumers will cancel Netflix before they switch their Internet
provider.

Not saying that this can't be abused by providers not having in enough
capacity and content companies bidding to be most important on the circuit.