Google wants your Internet to be faster

Kenny Sallee kenny.sallee at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 16:49:54 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Nathan Eisenberg
<nathan at atlasnetworks.us>wrote:

> > Is there a performance difference between the Internet and Internet2?
> > Should that be allowed, or must all IP networks have the same
> > performance?
>
> I think that statement may confuse metrics like performance and capacity,
> with the action of intentionally QOS'ing Netflix over Youtube over the same
> uplink.  One is a reality, and one offers disturbing possibilities.
>
> Best Regards,
> Nathan Eisenberg

Maybe the ISP's should move this choice to the consumer.  The last mile is
'usually' where congestion really hits.  Why not build a portal for
consumers to go in an choose what's important to them?  I know some MPLS VPN
providers do something similar (have a portal businesses can use to view and
modify QoS settings).  I'd love to be able to prioritize Netflix over
youtube or bittorrent or whatever games my kids are playing since I mainly
use Netflix to watch movies.  But I wouldn't like the big guys dictating
what is important to me.