off-topic: historical query concerning the Internet bubble

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Aug 10 07:56:46 UTC 2010

In article
<AANLkTi=MsYAfA5EttFjpo71Bq1fUB+RSyBRgD4HEeHca at mail.gmail.com>, Kenny
Sallee <kenny.sallee at gmail.com> writes
>So the whole 'myth' of Internet doubling every 100 days to me is
>something someone (ODell it seems) made up to appease someone higher in
>the chain or a government committee that really doesn't get it.

[Whether it was really 100 days, or 200 days...] a statistic like this
has very real operational significance, because it sets expectations in
the minds of senior management and investors that the new shiny hardware
(or leased line, or peering agreement...) you just put in place isn't
going to last "a lifetime", and will need replacing/upgrading really
quite soon.

Another meme at the time (at least in the UK) was the idea of "Internet
Time", where things happened four times as fast as "real life". So you'd
realise that things like a "five year plan" were really only going to
last just over a year. And, of course, policy and law related to the
Internet gets out of date four times as fast, too.
--
Roland Perry