off-topic: historical query concerning the Internet bubble

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Mon Aug 9 16:45:51 UTC 2010

On 09/08/2010 16:12, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> I think, from another list about 2 yrs ago, the person responsible for
> this data inside the company at the time (now not there) said someone
> misinterpreted his stats/numbers...

No doubt this is true.  And I note we haven't even started discussing
whether this "doubling every N time periods" refers to bit-rate, bytes
passed or daily max.

I would have said that most networks during that period had occasional
burst growth rates of up to 100% within 100 days. The growth curve second
derivative is usually much bumpier than the first derivative.  So,
regardless of source, the quotation is a truism, an urban myth and
ultimately means very little.

Nick