T-Mobile IPv6 Beta

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 14:07:05 UTC 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 3:28 AM, Daniel Richards <kyhwana at gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe Android 2.1 (And reportedly Apples iOS 4) do ipv6.
> Android 2.1 certainly works out of the box. I have a HTC Desire that
> just worked with my IPv6 setup at home.
> (DHCPv6 from my ISP to my Cisco 877 and then over wifi to the Desire.)

It is also my understanding that the latest Android and and iOS4
support IPv6, but only via the WiFi interface.  The Nokia Symbians
phones are the only ones that I know of that can do native IPv6-only.
As Mikael pointed out, this is important.  The Nokia Maemo N900 can do
dual-stack, but it is "beta" and requires a fairly easy kernel upgrade
.... but more development is going into it all the time and it is
generally a very good device for the developer types.  I consider the
the Symbian phones as well as the applications in their Ovi App store
to be real IPv6 production quality, they are mature and stable.  You
can go to the store and buy these phones off the shelf and ipv6 just
works (assuming your carrier did not lock out those features).  Nokia
is way head of the curve on IPv6 and they should be recognized as
such.

It's nice to see Android and iOS bring IPv6 to WiFi as a first step,
but they need to keep going.

Here is a short thread on the Android IPv6 issue, it is really
Qualcomm's issue at this point http://tinyurl.com/28nttno

Cameron