Edu versus Speakeasy Speedtest

Jeff jeffnanog at hvnc.net
Fri Apr 30 12:49:08 UTC 2010

On 4/30/10 3:15 AM, Steve Bertrand wrote:

> Your observation is disturbingly bleak... do you have a recommendation?
>
> ...perhaps a site with good bandwidth and a cluster of iperf(1) boxes
> available? :)

There are better tools than a simple iperf server:

http://psps.perfsonar.net/toolkit/

There are many perfsonar sites to choose from in I2/NLR land. Most
gigapops and I2 networks run at least one.

The problem is the Faculty^Wusers are smart, but not experienced in
networking, so they buy into the marketing and eye candy of the speed
dials on the Speakeasy and assorted speed testing tool sites. They see
low numbers and then are difficult to convince that the devil is in the
details. (which is odd, because that's what they do as scientists.)

They also typically don't see the $$$$ spent on i2/nlr connections vs
the $ spent on commodity internet connections. ;)

Jeff