Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Apr 29 20:58:24 CDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 11:24 AM, Mark Smith
<nanog at 85d5b20a518b8f6864949bd940457dc124746ddc.nosense.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 14:24:37 -0400
> William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>> Fail means that an inexperienced admin drops a router in place of the
>> firewall to work around a priority problem while the senior engineer
>> is on vacation. With NAT protecting unroutable addresses, that failure
>> mode fails closed.
>
> Fail is expecting a low level staff member, who doesn't know better, to
> substitute for a senior one, who does.

Funny thing about junior staff... Their reach is often longer than
their grasp. Someone has to have the keys when the senior guy is
away... Even if they don't always have the good judgment to know what
they can safely do with them. As the senior guy, I'd rather find out
about the mistake when the panicked junior calls me on the cell phone
because he crashed the network, not when I get back and find the
company jewels have been stolen.

NAT protecting unroutable addresses gives me a better chance that
junior's mistake only causes a network outage.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004