the alleged evils of NAT, was Rate of growth on IPv6 not fast enough?

Bill Stewart nonobvious at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 15:22:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 3:24 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> Here's an exercise.  Wipe a PC.  Put it on that cable modem with no firewall.  Install XP on it.  See if you can get any service packs installed before the box is infected.
> 1.      Yes, I can.  I simply didn't put an IPv4 address on it. ;-)
> 2.      I wouldn't hold XP up as the gold standard of hosts here.

One of my coworkers was IPv6ing his home network.  He had to turn off
the Windows firewall on the machine with the IPv6 tunnel for a couple
of minutes to install some stubborn software.  Then he had to reimage
the box because it was pwned, and he's pretty sure that the infection
came in over the IPv6 tunnel, not the hardware-firewalled IPv4.

--
----
             Thanks;     Bill

Note that this isn't my regular email account - It's still experimental so far.
And Google probably logs and indexes everything you send it.