[Nanog] Re: IPv6 rDNS - how will it be done?

Mark Scholten mark at streamservice.nl
Wed Apr 28 07:31:25 UTC 2010

With LUA scripting and PowerDNS you could create a reverse DNS/forward DNS
based on the input and match it (IP or hostname). This could be really
dynamic and with using some cache it should also be fast. Checking what IPv6
address is in use and providing them a rDNS is also an option of course (but
I think that will consume more power/bandwith/etc. on the long term).

> Slightly more seriously, there have been discussions in the past about
> doing dynamic synthesis of v6 reverses, but that gets icky
> (particularly if you invoke the dreaded "DNSSEC" curse) and I don't
> know any production server that actually does this now.  Dynamic DNS is
> probably the least offensive solution if you really want reverses for
> your v6 nodes.

As long as you don't use DNSSEC the option above is possible, but with
DNSSEC many options will fail I think. Completely dynamic based on the
request of a client isn't an option if you ask me (or do we want .local
addresses in the rDNS?).