Mail Submission Protocol

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Wed Apr 28 00:55:57 UTC 2010

Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] wrote:
  > i recently had the problem that an lotus notes server insisted on
> sending emails to one of our clients via port 465. so having mandatory
> authentication there actually broke delivery for an exchange sender.

Leave it "broken" for the other end that is. Only way to force them to
fix it.

The only acceptable, and standard, way to submit email these days is
using port 587 with TLS. And if you have users with broken clients, they
can use webmail behind https. I am against facilitating (and thus
perpetuating the existence of) old broken clients by making available
port 465.

Regards,
Jeroen

--